shopgallerynewsaboutcontact

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Letters of L-O-V-E (a.k.a., Love Letters)

It's been awhile since I've entered a Spoonflower Fabric-of-the-Week contest. I've had to sort of pick and choose my "battles", with sickness in the family usually winning this past month. But I've also been busy with some personal projects, Etsy orders, and revamping my website (more on that in the coming weeks!).

This week's Spoonflower contest theme, in celebration of Valentine's Day, is "Love Letters". I had two completely different ideas in my head--sketched out and researched one, but ultimately decided to go really literal, using the letters in the word 'LOVE'. All of us have probably done cut-out magazine collages at some point, right? Or at least seen ransom notes made on TV crime shows. So I cut out L's, O's, V's, and E's from one magazine, had a nice little pile going, but after some thought realized I would need to buy many more magazines in order to get a nice variety. Conclusion? Go digital. In Illustrator I created each cut letter piece, added color to each individually, then made a "whole lotta LOVEs", and organized and fit them into a design. I did three additional color ways for now: one in black-and-white, one in the style of a Xerox photocopy, and one inverted with red.

You can view the pattern in yardage here. If you like my design, you can vote for it, and all your favorite "Love Letters" designs, here. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Next Previous Home